Friday, February 19, 2010

Last Year

One year ago yesterday I was sent to the hospital. I was 26 1/2 weeks pregnant and my cervix was short and soft. I can still remember so vividly the anxiety I felt when the ultrasound tech told me she needed the doctor to come in and take a look and the panic that struck as I sat in the doctor's office while he called the hospital. I know exactly where I was standing in the waiting room when I called my husband and somehow choked out the words that he needed to come home and drive me to the hospital. I even remember exactly where I was on the drive home when I called into work to tell them I wasn't coming in and probably wouldn't be for a long time.

I also remember how nice all the nurses were when we arrived at the hospital. I remember calling my mother and convincing her she did not need to fly back from Florida and how awful it felt when my husband and daughter went home for the night that first night.

I ended up staying in the hospital for 7 1/2 weeks before I was sent home for more bedrest.

I am now exhausted thanks to an adorable 10 month who doesn't sleep well, but I am so grateful for the hospital, the nurses and doctors, the insurance coverage, and my flexible employers, all of which allowed me to keep baking that baby until he was ready to come out.

And thanks to everyone who commented here and on facebook or came to visit me in the hospital for helping to keep my spirits up. It was all worth it.

1 comment:

Lorraine said...

Now that I've actually been on hospital bedrest (briefly) I can't IMAGINE enduring 7 1/2 weeks of it!

I'm so glad that "all's well that ends well" and you have that little cutie now.