Tuesday, May 5, 2009

2 Weeks Old

We just returned from little Bee's 2 week appointment with the pediatrician and a few errands. The Bee is doing great. He weighed in at 6 lbs 7 oz; his length was unchanged. The doctor said all she needed to see was that he was back to his birth weight and he surpassed that by a few ounces. Right now he measures 5th percentile for weight and 25th for height; though, since his gestational age is still only 37 1/2 weeks the percentiles don't mean anything. The doctor said he looked great and our next appointment is his 2-month check. That's SEVEN weeks from now! I was very happy when the pediatrician told me that I could feel free to call and schedule a weight check prior to that appointment if I didn't want to wait so long. Have I mentioned that my husband and I LOVE this doctor. If he keeps eating well and growing into his clothes perhaps I won't feel the need, but my daughter (who was born at 32 weeks) was probably between 6 and 9 months old before we went that long between doctor visits. The notion of waiting another 7 weeks to find out how he's growing seems almost shocking to me.

After Bee's appointment, my husband and I took him and went out for a late lunch together and then went to the grocery store for a few items. This is something else odd for me. Because of our daughter's prematurity, her monitor, and the time of year, I don't think we took her anywhere public until she started daycare at age 6 months. And now here we are taking this little guy to a restaurant and then the grocery store! Granted it was mid-afternoon and both places were pretty empty and no one even really looked at him, much less breathed near him or tried to touch him. Still the experience is just so different this time around.

The little man gave us a wonderful gift by behaving himself. The only time he cried at the doctor's office was when they weighed him, and he slept through the entire rest of the trip and long enough after we got home for us to get the groceries put away and for me to go to the bathroom and make some tea! And right now he is lying on my lap and dozing off to sleep with the most peaceful and contented look on his face.


Meghan said...

Glad he got the all clear from the doc!! I thought it was crazy to go that long between appts too. And maybe it was just my first time mom-ness but we were definitely in there a few times before the 2 month check up!

Anne D. said...

He's a little champion. :-)

Must feel so good to be out and about after your long confinement. Tiny babies are the easiest to get around with. Once they can sit up and yowl at will, it's a lot more complicated.


Lollipop Goldstein said...

Oh, I didn't even think about that--because the twins got out of the NICU right at the start of RSV season, we didn't go out at all. But I didn't think about how different that would be if it were spring. Small blessings :-) I'm so glad he's growing well.