Thursday, June 18, 2009

2 steps forward, 1 step back

Actually it feels like 1 step forward and 2 back! On the bright side, for the past 2 nights Bee has slept for his 2 longest stretches ever of 4 1/2 hours. I am truly grateful for that, but the other 19 1/2 hours of the day are a nightmare. I believe everything I've read says that babies this age are still supposed to sleep ALOT. And since Bee was 4 1/2 weeks early we might even assume his sleep patterns should resemble a 4 week old -- meaning he should sleep longer. Ha Ha Ha! Since about 7am this morning he's only slept for 30 minutes!(It's now Noon.) The kid clearly can't self soothe for shit. I do try to get him to nap as soon as he starts exhibiting signs of sleepiness, but if I put him down - anywhere - all he does is scream. I do the whole rocking/swaying, patting, shushing thing and it does work sometimes, but the big problem is getting him to STAY asleep.

Ok, so it's now 1pm and he's been asleep in his basket for a little over 30 minutes. I'll be thrilled if he makes it an hour. Sigh....

2 comments:

LJ said...

Poor Bee! Moreso poor mom!!!

Unknown said...

Our youngest was a sleepless baby; I felt bad for him AND of course for me! May the Bee find his nighttime bliss soon.

Also: I thank you so much for your warm and empathetic comment on my latest blog entry. Sometimes only those who have been in "the trough" can understand how helpless one can feel. I am going to make an effort to stop posting self-pitying stuff for a while; perhaps I'm adding to my own problems. :-)