Monday, January 14, 2008

Heaving a Huge Sigh of Relief

The first interview is over and it really wasn't bad at all. As predicted, early the morning of the interview I did start to get nervous. Just before she was due to arrive I was really feeling sick to my stomach. But she was as nice in person as she'd seemed on the phone and again I had the feeling that her job is as much to help us as it is to scrutinize us. I think we spent about an hour talking and answering questions. Then we took her on a tour of the house and scheduled the rest of the sessions. We have to do 4 total so we have 3 more. Fortunately, we were able to schedule them for the next three weekends, so we'll be done on Feb 2. After she left we went through all our paperwork and made a list of things to do and questions we have for the agency. We're pretty close and except for making some copies and faxing some forms to the agency, and finishing the home study, we're basically now at the mercy of USCIS and the state government to process paperwork. All in all, I was feeling pretty good. Then twice in the last two days I've heard about how Chinese adoptions are taking even longer than they've been. I've been prepared for a 2 year wait, but the notion of 3 to 4 years definitely has me freaking out a bit!

In other news, I realized something yesterday. Shopping as therapy at the mall isn't really very effective when you are having trouble trying to build a family. I know my antennae are tuned to detect pregnant women and large families, but at large suburban malls they are EVERYWHERE. And of course they are all skinny and georgous too. ;)

4 comments:

Meghan said...

Glad it went well.

And you're right, I never go to the mall or target on the weekend anymore. It's filled with large families and even larger pregnant bellies. It's crazy. I'll only go after work.

Natalie said...

Hey, I'd forgotten all about you! But yea, the mall's a very very bad place...

Unknown said...

I remember those feelings well -- seeing pregnant women everywhere when I seemingly could never be one of them. It's very painful. Be kind to your tender heart right now.

Glad to hear your first visit went well. You're on your way! Remember that in adoption, there is always a baby or child at the end of the rainbow. It can be hard work; just keep your eyes on the prize and be strong.

Leah said...

Are you alive? It's been over a month since you've posted and I miss you!