Thursday, September 25, 2008

WARNING: ALL ABOUT MY KID!!!

My girl is 6 years old today.

6 years ago today, while lying in a hospital bed halfway into my 11th day of complete bedrest (yes, that means bed pans!) my placenta abrupted. It was a horrifying experience due in no small part to the fact that I noticed blood during the nurses shift change. I won't tell you the long drawn out version, but suffice it to say that by the time my husband got to the hospital 30 minutes after I'd called him on his cell phone, the nurses still hadn't bothered to get a doctor to my room. I was screaming, sobbing, and terrified. Let's just say that my husband gave the staff holy hell and within seconds there were MANY doctors and nurses in the room. Anyhoo... A couple of hours later, my daughter was born via emergency c-section. When I finally woke up in a drugged haze hours later all I had were 2 polaroid photos of her. I didn't get to see her in the NICU until she was almost 24 hours old. She ended up staying in the NICU for 32 days. She was on an apnea monitor until she was six months old. Today she is a perfectly healthy, often sweet, often tempermental, funny, creative 6 year old.

My baby's come a long way!

















5 comments:

Meghan said...

Happy birthday to her!!! Hope the party goes well and we get all that rain out of the way today ;)

Penny said...

Great minds think alike!

Penny said...

I also wanted to add that your daughter is absolutely lovely. Great pics!

Shelby said...

Such a beautiful girl!! Happy birthday sweetie!!

Elana Kahn said...

OMG She is SO beautiful!! What an absolute miracle you have there.